Wednesday, December 26, 2007

December 26, 2007

Christmas was a hit! It went a lot better than I thougt it would. The kids were up at 5am! with instructions to not bother us until at least 7am. You know they were jumping on the bed the minute the clock struck 7!!! They had so many presents to open and they made out like bandits. Not a bad year from Santa... :) My favorite present was the new car I got! Can't beat that, I suppose :) :) :)

I took Jade to the doctor today to have a look at her thumb. The doc was on vacation, so his nurse practitioner filled in for him. She thinks it looks like it could be a little infected and prescribed amoxicillan. Jade was also coughing a great deal the night before, so I had her look at her ears, nose and throat. She's got runoff down her throat and some stuffiness in the nose, so hopefully the antibiotic will kill two birds with one stone. I swear, ever since she started taking the Dilantin and the Zonegran, she's got poop-breath! It's either one of these meds or the nasal infection. Poor girl doesn't eat anything by mouth, so she should have rose smelling saliva!

She's still having a lot of seizure activity. If it turns out she isn't feeling well and the antibiotic kicks whatever it is in the butt, hopefully the seizures will back down a little. Time will tell.

We're in for a very busy weekend. We're putting up friends of ours who now live in North Carolina. It's great being able to catch up with people we don't get to see often. Next weekend, we have the pleasure of having their uncle for company! The kids will be quite stoked to show off all of their toys to him!

Time to turn in for yet another tumultous night. Thank god for COFFEE!

No comments:

Our peanut in a nutshell...

Hi everyone! Thanks for visiting my blog. My name is Jade and I am currently 8 years old. I have a big sister and a big brother whom I love very very much.

I have a very rare neurological disorder that isn't even named yet! It is a genetic mutation called CDKL5. It is considered a variant of Rett Syndrome and presently, I am only one of around 600 or so children in the world documented to have this mutation. Each child is unique in that his or her symptoms vary quite a bit. Unfortunately, I am one of those children who is affected much more severely than most of the kids.

Some of the problems I face include:

Reflux (in October 2006, I had surgery to have a Nissen Fundoplication done and to have a gastrostomy tube inserted for feedings). As of March 2012, I have a GJ tube for continuous feeds.

I am hypotonic - I have virtually no muscle tone and I find it difficult to even hold my head up on my own.

I have cortical vision impairment - my brain doesn't process the images it sees. Sometimes I see off to the side, sometimes, my vision is shuttered, sometimes I don't have any vision at all. The doctors and my Mom and Dad don't really know how or what I see because I can't tell them.

I cannot talk nor communicate with gestures.

I cannot walk, nor will I ever walk.

I grind my teeth. So much so, that some loosen during seizures.

I cannot grasp objects or use my hands for the simplest of tasks.

I cannot sit on my own. I can, however, sort of roll over from side to side.

I am choreoathetoid. I cannot control the jerky movements my arms and legs make.

I have life-threatening seizures every day. This is my greatest challenge.

So, now that you have gotten to know me, please feel free to take a stroll around my blog. Some of it you read may seem depressing, horrible, unfathomable, and downright crazy. But, this is my life.

Friends who follow this blog